Lakkidi is a small hill station located in the Wayanad district of Kerala, India. It is known for its lush greenery, misty hills, and serene atmosphere. The town is surrounded by the Western Ghats and is an ideal destination for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and those seeking a peaceful getaway. In this article, we will take you on a journey to the top 5 places to visit in Lakkidi.
Pookot Lake is a freshwater lake surrounded by dense forests and hills. It is a popular tourist attraction and is situated just 3 km from Lakkidi. The lake offers a serene atmosphere and boating facilities for visitors. The lake is also home to a variety of fish, and visitors can indulge in fishing activities. The lake is surrounded by a walking track, and visitors can take a leisurely stroll around the lake and enjoy the scenic beauty of the surroundings.
Chembra Peak is the highest peak in Wayanad and is located 14 km from Lakkidi. The peak is a popular trekking destination and offers breathtaking views of the surroundings. The trek to the peak is a challenging one and takes around 5-6 hours to complete. Visitors need to obtain permission from the forest department before embarking on the trek. The peak is also home to a heart-shaped lake, which is believed to have medicinal properties.
Thusharagiri Waterfalls is a group of three waterfalls situated 50 km from Lakkidi. The waterfalls are located amidst lush greenery and offer a picturesque view. Visitors can take a dip in the natural pool at the bottom of the waterfall and enjoy the refreshing water. The place is also a popular trekking destination and offers various trekking trails of different difficulty levels.
Banasura Sagar Dam
Banasura Sagar Dam is the largest earthen dam in India and is located 25 km from Lakkidi. The dam is built across the Karamanathodu River and offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. Visitors can indulge in boating activities and enjoy the serene atmosphere. The dam is also surrounded by lush green forests and is home to a variety of flora and fauna.
Chain Tree is a popular tourist attraction located 4 km from Lakkidi. The tree is believed to be haunted and has an interesting legend associated with it. It is said that a British engineer named F. H. Gravely was killed by a group of Adivasis who were unhappy with the construction of the road through the forest. His spirit haunted the place, and a priest chained his spirit to a nearby tree to prevent him from causing harm. The tree still stands there, and visitors can see the chain that is wrapped around it.
Lakkidi is a beautiful hill station that offers a serene atmosphere and breathtaking views of the surrounding hills and valleys. The town is home to several tourist attractions that cater to the interests of visitors of all ages. From natural wonders to historical monuments, Lakkidi has something to offer to everyone. We hope that this article has given you an insight into the top 5 places to visit in Lakkidi.
- What is the best time to visit Lakkidi?
- The best time to visit Lakkidi is from October to May.
- How far is Lakkidi from Wayanad?
- Lakkidi is a small town located in the Wayanad district of Kerala, India.
- What are some other tourist attractions in Lakkidi?
- Other popular tourist attractions in Lakkidi include the Kuruvadweep Island, the Edakkal Caves, and the Karlad Lake.
- Is Lakkidi a good place for trekking?
- Yes, Lakkidi is a popular destination for trekking. Chembra Peak and Thusharagiri Waterfalls are popular trekking destinations in Lakkidi.
- How do I get to Lakkidi?
- The nearest airport to Lakkidi is the Calicut International Airport, which is located 62 km away. The nearest railway station is Kozhikode Railway Station, which is located 58 km away. Lakkidi is well-connected by road, and regular buses and taxis are available from nearby cities.