Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is a bustling city that's full of exciting activities and attractions. From historic landmarks to outdoor adventures, there's something for everyone to enjoy in this Midwestern city. In this article, we'll explore the 12 best things to do in Sioux Falls, SD, that you won't want to miss.
1. Falls Park
Falls Park is the city's most iconic attraction and should be at the top of your to-do list. It's a 123-acre park that's home to the beautiful Sioux Falls, a series of cascading waterfalls that drop 100 feet over pink quartzite rock formations. Visitors can take a stroll on the walking trails, have a picnic, or dine at the Falls Overlook Cafe.
2. SculptureWalk Sioux Falls
SculptureWalk Sioux Falls is an outdoor exhibit featuring over 60 sculptures located along the streets of downtown Sioux Falls. The sculptures are replaced annually, so there's always something new to see. Visitors can take a self-guided tour, or join a guided tour to learn more about the artwork.
3. Butterfly House & Aquarium
The Butterfly House & Aquarium is a must-visit attraction for animal lovers. The indoor butterfly house features hundreds of free-flying butterflies, while the aquarium has over 8000 gallons of water with colorful fish, coral, and other marine life. Visitors can also attend feeding and educational programs.
4. Great Plains Zoo & Delbridge Museum
The Great Plains Zoo & Delbridge Museum is home to over 1000 animals from around the world, including endangered species like the Amur tiger and red panda. The Delbridge Museum of Natural History features exhibits on the history of the Great Plains and its inhabitants, including dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures.
5. Sertoma Butterfly House & Marine Cove
The Sertoma Butterfly House & Marine Cove is another great attraction for nature lovers. It features a butterfly house with over 800 butterflies, as well as a marine cove with over 20 species of tropical fish, coral, and other marine life. Visitors can also attend educational programs and feeding shows.
6. Old Courthouse Museum
The Old Courthouse Museum is a historic landmark that dates back to 1893. It's now a museum that showcases the history of Sioux Falls and the surrounding area, with exhibits on pioneer life, Native American culture, and the city's growth over the years. Visitors can also see the restored courtroom and jail cells.
7. USS South Dakota Battleship Memorial
The USS South Dakota Battleship Memorial is a tribute to the sailors who served on the USS South Dakota during World War II. The memorial features a life-size bronze sculpture of a sailor, as well as a collection of artifacts and exhibits on the ship's history.
8. St. Joseph Cathedral
St. Joseph Cathedral is a beautiful Roman Catholic cathedral that was built in 1919. It features stunning stained glass windows and ornate architecture, making it a must-visit attraction for architecture enthusiasts and those interested in religious history.
9. Outdoor Campus Sioux Falls
The Outdoor Campus Sioux Falls is a great destination for outdoor enthusiasts. It's a 98-acre campus that features educational programs and exhibits on outdoor recreation, wildlife, and conservation. Visitors can explore the hiking trails, go fishing in the ponds, or attend workshops and events.
10. Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science
The Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science is a cultural center that features a variety of exhibits and programs. It includes an art museum, a science museum, a performing arts center, and a cinema. Visitors can attend concerts, theater productions, and other events, or explore the exhibits on art and science.
11. Catfish Bay Water Ski Park
Catfish Bay Water Ski Park is a unique attraction that offers water ski shows and entertainment. It features professional water skiers who perform stunts and tricks on the water, as well as a variety of other entertainment options, including live music and comedy shows.
12. Wild Water West Waterpark
Wild Water West Waterpark is a fun destination for families and thrill-seekers. It features a variety of water slides, a lazy river, a wave pool, and other water attractions. There's also a miniature golf course, go-kart track, and other activities for visitors to enjoy.
In conclusion, Sioux Falls, SD, is a city that's full of exciting activities and attractions. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor recreation, there's something for everyone to enjoy. From the iconic Falls Park to the unique Catfish Bay Water Ski Park, these 12 attractions are some of the best things to do in Sioux Falls, SD.
- What is Sioux Falls known for? Sioux Falls is known for its iconic Falls Park, which features a series of cascading waterfalls over pink quartzite rock formations.
- What is the best time of year to visit Sioux Falls? The best time to visit Sioux Falls is in the summer, between June and August, when the weather is warm and there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy.
- Are there any free attractions in Sioux Falls? Yes, there are several free attractions in Sioux Falls, including Falls Park, SculptureWalk Sioux Falls, and the Outdoor Campus Sioux Falls.
- What is the Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science? The Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science is a cultural center that features a variety of exhibits and programs, including an art museum, a science museum, a performing arts center, and a cinema.
- What is Wild Water West Waterpark? Wild Water West Waterpark is a fun destination for families and thrill-seekers, featuring a variety of water slides, a lazy river, a wave pool, and other water attractions, as well as other activities like miniature golf and go-karts.