Are you looking for some exciting activities to do in Salem, Oregon? Look no further! This guide will provide you with a list of 12 fun things to do in the capital city of Oregon.
1. Visit the Oregon State Capitol
The Oregon State Capitol is the perfect place to start your trip in Salem. The building is an architectural masterpiece, and you can take a tour to learn about the state's political history. The Capitol also has a beautiful rose garden that's perfect for taking photos.
2. Go on a Wine Tasting Tour
Oregon is famous for its Pinot Noir, and Salem is home to several wineries. Book a wine tasting tour and sample some of the best wines the region has to offer. Some of the wineries to check out include Willamette Valley Vineyards, Eola Hills Wine Cellars, and Cristom Vineyards.
3. Take a Stroll Through Minto-Brown Island Park
Minto-Brown Island Park is a 1,200-acre park that's perfect for hiking, biking, and picnicking. The park has several trails that lead through lush forests and open meadows. If you're lucky, you might even spot some wildlife!
4. Explore the Willamette Heritage Center
The Willamette Heritage Center is a museum that showcases the history of the Willamette Valley. The center is located in a restored woolen mill and has exhibits on everything from Native American culture to the region's agricultural history.
5. Visit the Historic Deepwood Estate
The Historic Deepwood Estate is a beautiful Victorian home that's open for tours. The home is furnished with period furniture, and you can learn about the family that lived there in the early 1900s. The estate also has beautiful gardens that are perfect for a leisurely stroll.
6. Check Out the Gilbert House Children's Museum
If you're traveling with kids, be sure to check out the Gilbert House Children's Museum. The museum has several interactive exhibits that are perfect for kids of all ages. Some of the exhibits include a water table, a giant Lite-Brite, and a life-size operation game.
7. Go Hiking in Silver Falls State Park
Silver Falls State Park is located just outside of Salem and is home to ten stunning waterfalls. The park has several hiking trails that take you past the falls and through old-growth forests. If you're feeling adventurous, you can even take a dip in one of the swimming holes!
8. Catch a Show at the Historic Elsinore Theatre
The Elsinore Theatre is a beautiful theater that's been restored to its former glory. The theater hosts concerts, plays, and other live performances throughout the year. Be sure to check the schedule and catch a show while you're in town.
9. Explore the Salem Saturday Market
The Salem Saturday Market is a popular outdoor market that's open from May to October. The market has over 200 vendors selling everything from fresh produce to handmade crafts. The market also has live music and food vendors, making it a great place to spend a Saturday morning.
10. Visit the Hallie Ford Museum of Art
The Hallie Ford Museum of Art is located on the campus of Willamette University and has an impressive collection of American art. The museum has exhibits on everything from Native American art to modern art, and there's always something new to see.
11. Have Some Family Fun at the Enchanted Forest Theme Park
The Enchanted Forest Theme Park is a family-friendly amusement park that's been entertaining visitors since 1971. The park has several rides, including a roller coaster and a log flume, as well as several themed areas, including a Western town and a medieval castle.
12. Check Out the Oregon Garden
The Oregon Garden is a 80-acre botanical garden that's home to over 20 specialty gardens. The garden has several walking trails, a tram tour, and even a pet-friendly garden. The garden is open year-round and is a must-see for any nature lover.
Salem, Oregon is a hidden gem in the Pacific Northwest with plenty of fun activities to offer. From exploring historic homes to hiking through stunning waterfalls, there's something for everyone in Salem. Be sure to add these 12 fun things to do to your itinerary on your next trip to Salem.
- What is the best time to visit Salem, Oregon?
- Salem is great to visit year-round, but the best time is from May to October when the weather is mild and there are plenty of outdoor activities.
- How far is Salem, Oregon from Portland?
- Salem is about an hour's drive south of Portland.
- Are there any wineries in Salem, Oregon?
- Yes, Salem is home to several wineries, including Willamette Valley Vineyards and Eola Hills Wine Cellars.
- Can you swim in the waterfalls at Silver Falls State Park?
- Yes, there are several swimming holes at Silver Falls State Park, but be sure to check for safety conditions before jumping in.
- Is the Enchanted Forest Theme Park suitable for young children?
- Yes, the Enchanted Forest Theme Park is designed for families and has several rides and attractions suitable for young children.