Munnar, a picturesque hill station nestled in the Western Ghats of India, is a popular destination for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and honeymooners. It is known for its sprawling tea gardens, misty hills, gushing waterfalls, and exotic wildlife. If you are planning to visit Munnar, then this article is your ultimate guide to this paradise on earth.
How to reach Munnar
Munnar is located in the Idukki district of Kerala and is well-connected by road, rail, and air.
One can take a bus or hire a taxi from Kochi, which is about 130 km from Munnar. The drive from Kochi to Munnar takes around 4 hours and is scenic, with numerous waterfalls and tea gardens along the way.
The nearest railway station to Munnar is Aluva, which is about 110 km away. From there, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to Munnar.
The nearest airport to Munnar is Cochin International Airport, which is about 110 km away. From there, one can take a taxi or a bus to Munnar.
Best time to visit Munnar
The best time to visit Munnar is from September to May when the weather is pleasant, and the hills are covered with lush greenery. The monsoon season from June to August brings heavy rainfall and landslides, making it difficult to travel.
Places to visit in Munnar
Mattupetty Dam is a popular tourist spot in Munnar, located about 13 km from the town. It is a concrete gravity dam built across the Mattupetty River and is surrounded by lush green hills and tea gardens. The dam offers a panoramic view of the surrounding hills and is an ideal place for picnics and boating.
Echo Point is a scenic spot located about 15 km from Munnar. It is called Echo Point because the surrounding hills create an echo when one shouts or speaks loudly. The spot offers a stunning view of the mist-covered hills, and one can go for a nature walk or trek in the nearby forests.
Kundala Lake is a serene lake located about 20 km from Munnar. It is surrounded by lush green hills and is an ideal spot for boating and picnics. One can also visit the nearby Tea Museum, which showcases the history and culture of tea plantations in Munnar.
Top Station is the highest point in Munnar, located about 32 km from the town. It offers a breathtaking view of the Western Ghats and is a popular spot for trekking and photography. The best time to visit Top Station is during the early morning hours when the mist lifts, revealing the panoramic view of the hills.
Eravikulam National Park
Eravikulam National Park is a must-visit place in Munnar, located about 15 km from the town. It is home to the endangered Nilgiri Tahr and is a protected area for various species of flora and fauna. The park offers stunning views of the hills and is an ideal spot for trekking and wildlife safaris.
Munnar is famous for its sprawling tea gardens, and a visit to Munnar is incomplete without a visit to these tea plantations. The Tata Tea Museum, located in Nallathanni Estate, is a popular tourist spot that showcases the history and culture of tea plantations in Munnar.
Anamudi Peak is the highest peak in South India, located about 13 km from Munnar. It is a popular spot for trekking and offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. The peak is home to various species of flora and fauna and is a protected area.
Attukal Waterfalls is a scenic waterfall located about 9 km from Munnar. It is surrounded by lush green hills and is an ideal spot for picnics and nature walks. The waterfall is at its best during the monsoon season when the water flow is heavy.
Things to do in Munnar
Munnar is a popular destination for trekking enthusiasts, with numerous trekking trails ranging from easy to difficult. The trek to Meesapulimala, the second highest peak in the Western Ghats, is a popular trek among adventure enthusiasts.
Camping is another popular activity in Munnar, with numerous camping sites available in and around the town. The campfires under the starlit sky offer a surreal experience.
Eravikulam National Park and Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary offer wildlife safaris, allowing visitors to witness the exotic flora and fauna of the region.
A shikara ride in Kundala Lake is a serene experience, with the surrounding hills offering a breathtaking view.
Paragliding is an adventure activity offered in Munnar, with trained professionals available for guidance.
A visit to the tea plantations is incomplete without a tea tasting session. The tea gardens offer various flavors of tea, and a tasting session allows visitors to savor the taste of the local tea.
Where to stay in Munnar
Munnar offers a range of accommodation options, from budget hotels to luxury resorts. The town center and the surrounding areas have numerous homestays, offering a glimpse into the local lifestyle.
Where to eat in Munnar
Munnar offers a range of dining options, with numerous restaurants and cafes serving local and international cuisines. The street food stalls offer local delicacies, and a visit to these stalls is a must for foodies.
Shopping in Munnar
Munnar is famous for its tea, spices, and handicrafts. The local markets offer various souvenirs, and a visit to these markets is a must for shopping enthusiasts.
Tips for visiting Munnar
- Carry warm clothes as the temperature can drop significantly, especially during the winter months.
- Carry a good pair of shoes for trekking and walking.
- Keep a raincoat or an umbrella handy, as Munnar receives heavy rainfall during the monsoon season.
- Carry sunscreen and sunglasses to protect your skin and eyes from the harsh sun rays.
- It is advisable to book your accommodation and travel tickets in advance, especially during the peak season.
- Respect the local culture and customs, and dress appropriately while visiting religious places.
- Carry enough cash, as ATMs may not be readily available in some areas.
- Do not litter the surroundings and help keep Munnar clean and green.
- Follow the rules and regulations while visiting the national park and wildlife sanctuaries.
- Hire a local guide for a better understanding of the local culture and to explore the hidden gems of Munnar.
Munnar is a breathtakingly beautiful hill station that offers a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. It is a paradise for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and anyone seeking peace and tranquility. With its lush green tea plantations, misty hills, cascading waterfalls, and a variety of flora and fauna, Munnar is truly a mesmerizing destination.
We hope this complete tour guide to Munnar hill station will help you plan your trip and make the most of your time in this picturesque destination. Remember to follow the tips for a safe and enjoyable trip, and respect the local culture and environment.
- What is the best time to visit Munnar?
- The best time to visit Munnar is from September to November and from January to May.
- How can I reach Munnar?
- The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport, and the nearest railway station is Aluva Railway Station. You can also reach Munnar by road through state-run or private buses or by hiring a taxi.
- Is it safe to trek in Munnar?
- Yes, trekking in Munnar is safe if you follow the rules and regulations and hire a professional guide.
- What are the must-visit tourist attractions in Munnar?
- Some of the must-visit tourist attractions in Munnar are Eravikulam National Park, Mattupetty Dam, Tea Museum, Top Station, and Echo Point.
- What are the famous food items in Munnar?
- Some of the famous food items in Munnar are Appam with Stew, Puttu with Kadala Curry, Idiyappam with Egg Curry, and Fish Curry.